Monday, August 6, 2012

#3 - Be in a Flash Mob!

There's not much to say about this one except that I think flash mobs might just be one of the coolest things in the entire world. I have always wanted to be a part of one.

For two weeks this summer I was involved in facilitating a professional development for about 50 DC public school teachers. We held our training at a local high school and even though school was not in session, there were several students there for various summer activities along with a handful of support staff. I am not quite sure how it all evolved, but somehow we decided that on our last day we should have a flash mob during lunch in the cafeteria. FANTASTIC! Imagine a bunch of elementary, middle, and high school teachers dancing together to "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga. Well, actually you don't have to imagine it because here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMS57_KOOCI&feature=youtu.be

Here's what I learned:

1) You can have fun without being perfect and even while looking stupid!

2) I don't have to be the best at things that I do in a group. In fact, the best thing about doing things in a group is often the simple fact that you are with other people in community.

3) Laughter truly is good medicine - you see us all laughing and smiling a lot in this video and the mood for the rest of the day for those who participated, and for those who watched, was so high.

4) Just as I learned when baking the cake - it is a wonderful thing to create!

Enjoy the video and if you need a choreographer for YOUR next flash mob - just let me know! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment